Monday, May 01, 2006

El mundo esta de pie

It is always delightful when one's birthday falls admits a cluster of exciting events. I remember when all my friends and I went to the debut of Jurassic Park in 5th grade: it was the COOLEST birthday ever. While Sam Neill is nowhere to be seen in 2006, June 11 is set to be a rocking good time. The third season of the best-written show currently on television, Entourage, will be premiering on my birthday, but as great as it will be to have E and crew back in my life, the HBO comedy is going to be eclipsed by the commencement of the World Cup on June 9th [did you think I was going to be raving about my own commencement?]. Although it will be hard to match the delirious exhilaration of when USA went up 3:0 against Portugal in Game 1 of the 2002 tournament.

Honestly, I don't even know why I am such a zealot for America when it comes to football - it was probably an emotional reaction after studying abroad added to the fact that "soccer" is still relatively unwatched in North America. Given that the United States failed to qualify between 1950 and 1990, and ranked last among the field in 1998, it seems like the one remaining arena where you can root for the old red, white, and blue without feeling like a complete asshole. Plus, Kasey Keller is badass - he was my inspiration when our intermural team went unvictorious during the 2004 season.

Team USA's schedule for the first round in Group E:










I feel like Jesus at Christmas time.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you've already heard the Barcelona song "Kasey Keller." If not, you'd dig it.
Geeky electro-pop and soccer - don't mind if I do.

Tue May 02, 08:51:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Ha! What a funny little band. They came a few years to early.

Thu May 04, 02:46:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

And another birthday w00t?

Thu May 04, 02:50:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

It's a sign... you should buy a DS lite and Tetris DS and Animal Crossing DS.

Thu May 04, 05:30:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Okay. This review is kind of amazing. It really had me sold -- and the guy has a really great sense of humor. I guess finishing grad school gives me an exscuse to geek out a bit. Although I am going to have trouble letting go off my little Indigo GBA.

Some of the upcoming games look absolutely ridiculous. XenoSaga I&II, Children of Mana, and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Fri May 05, 03:00:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

And am I the only one still excited about Robert Altman films?

A Prairie Home Companion: June 9th

Fri May 05, 03:02:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home