Friday, April 21, 2006

Verisimilitude

Something no one ever accuses me of in my writing: Realism.

It is obvious. I’m not a realist. I no longer even have the desire to depict “things” are they actually “are”. That’s less interesting to me than the alternative. Whatever the alternative is.

The kicker: everything I like right now is arguably defined by its verisimilitude.

The more complicated kicker: the verisimilitude I’m talking about is more “reality effect” than it is a representation of reality.

Consider this: my favorite television show at the moment is the U.S. version of The Office. (I’m sure nobody knows that… I never post blog entries about it.)

I’ve heard from a lot of people (that have worked in offices) who say how “real” The Office feels. Kind of in the same way the same people say Office Space is realistic.

Thing is… that’s true. It does “feel” or “seem” real. But what bothers me the most is…

Wait…

What the hell am I talking about? Nobody cares about this. The Office is just a funny show. Period. And anyway... what does it matter what’s “real” and what’s not when The Man’s keeping you down? That The Man... what can you say about him that hasn’t always already been said?

It’s time to act people. Stop watching TV and get out there and be politically active.

Or, you know, don’t.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

Post 150! Although blog etiquette is fairly new to me, I think the proper response is: Woo, Woo... Woo!

Fri Apr 21, 07:21:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

You also past the 1 year mark a few days ago.

You are like the David Lee Roth of the blogosphere.

Sat Apr 22, 06:34:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home