Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Commander Thinks Aloud

Abandoned, forgotten - 2006 was supposed to be different, but here I am once again playing the martyr. As I stumbled my way home broke and jacket-less from the North Side in a casually dangerous mixture of hitchhiking and walking, I had one song to guide me: the utterly surprising lead-off track from The Long Winter's latest EP, Ultimatum.

Understated and unadorned, yet devastatingly sorrowful and wistful, The Commander Thinks Aloud explores a reservoir of unknown depth of feeling from the already clever John Roderick (although I do dearly miss Sean Nelson on the backup vocals).

When the end comes, I can think of no better denouement than:

The crew compartment's breaking up
The crew compartment's breaking up
The crew compartment's breaking up
The crew compartment's breaking up
The crew compartment's breaking up
The crew compartment's breaking up
The crew compartment's breaking up

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home