Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Adrift

Lost has lost its narrative rhythm.

This has nothing to do with the mysteries of the island and the revelations to come - hell, it could be a dream for all I care. If anything, I think this season has been largely successful in expanding its core mythology (i.e. dharma).

But with the rush to reveal the contents of the hatch, the producers have damaged the slow-burn momentum that made the show so enjoyable. Charming character interactions are nowhere to be seen. Remember when Jin and Hurley were fishing together? I do. I smiled.

Where is Sun? or Shannon? I think I saw Charlie and Claire interact a couple of episodes ago. Something about the return of a lame drug subplot (honestly, is there anywhere else you can go with that character?)

Did we really need to see the events of the first episode from the perspective of Locke and Kate? Did we learn any new information? Did it advance the plot? Speaking of which, what was the point of Michael's flashback? That he really, really, really loves Walt. I caught that last season.

I don't mean to be snotty or nitpicky; this may merely be a symptom of narrative compression. Plus, the climax of Orientation was particularly intense and well integrated into Locke's subplot. I just hope the series can escape the myopia that has plagued it for the first three episodes.

Or it could just once again end with Jack pointing a gun at Desmond.

"You!"

2 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

I like the shift in narrative. One problem I've always had with Lost is that the narrative can feel meandering at times. This season feels much more intense overall (the only bad thing about that is that I'm having a harder time tracking plot points... I loathe the first batch of reruns).

I really think you should be more concerned with this and this.

Thu Oct 13, 09:29:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

As half of the world must know by know, Apple looks like it is going to give Tivo a run for its money.

I am intrigued, and the possibilities are quite staggering. However, as of right now: no HD resolution, no deal.

Fri Oct 14, 09:24:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home