Friday, September 09, 2011

Two memories

In January 2004, I was in a wedding in the south.

Weddings are awkward anyway, so I remember trying to introduce myself to the locals who were in the wedding line.

One of them, who we gave a nasty nickname shortly after, blurted out, "We don't need to be all friendly and get to know each other." I found out later than she wasn't really a local. She lived in California.

In September 2007, I was in another wedding. There were more than a dozen people in the wedding line. (Though, less than two dozen. Losers.) The wedding was in California.

The wedding was more awkward than most. Everyone was extremely unfriendly. Again, I tried to introduce myself to the locals.

The locals, in this case, were all from the area. It was an extremely rich area, but only one of them actually came from any money. I would say were the rest worked or were from except for I don't have any idea.

They weren't very responsive to conversation or friendliness.

(Maybe it was the dark cloud that hung over that whole wedding. Maybe people from California suck in a very broad, sweeping way. Like the inane comments you'd hear during a Republican debate.)

One of the things I've most learned since High School. Talk to everyone you can. It makes everyone feel better.

The memories aren't happy ones. They are helpful ones.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger b r christensen said...

Who's M S Martinez?

Mon Sep 12, 10:43:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

That's so existential.

Tue Sep 13, 09:25:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

This is some vintage Mark right here. Love it.

Tue Sep 13, 12:57:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger Kabamf said...

The same thing has happened to me. Even at social events, apparently talking to strangers is now being taken seriously. The system works?

Thu Sep 22, 06:17:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger L-to-the-Del said...

I seem to remember parts of the first wedding, but the second one you speak of doesn't ring a bell...maybe because I have blocked it out! Why are you going back to the bad place? I hate thinking about all of that.

Thu Sep 22, 09:28:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home