Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The days of time and supposes

I would say that I never have any extra time, because that's what it feels like. But that isn't true. When I add everything up, I have plenty of free time.

The real problem is I like too many things.

I like movies. I like video games. I like TV shows. I like books. I like using Illustrator to create images. I like to spend time doing crazy things to photos and post the photos to Instagram. I like creating websites. I like learning new things. (There's more, but you get the picture.)

I also like people. I really like Rachel, and like to spend time with her. I like to go to restaurants and bars with friends. I also like my cats. Some days, I want to take a nap just so that my cats can take a nap with me. They enjoy it.

Then there are those other things that are responsibilities. Work takes up 40 or more hours a week, plus another three or so with my commute. Meetings, preaching and study take up another 10 or 12. Then, biological imperatives. Sleep. Eating. Grooming. Et cetera. That's a lot of time spent.

Which is why I could talk about how I failed at my attempt to write a novel in November and December. (I had created a very nice spreadsheet detailing my goal to write at least 1,250 words each day, for a total of about 60,000. Having a nice spreadsheet didn't actually help me do much.)

It isn't that I didn't want to write it. It's just that I didn't want to write it more than I wanted, or needed, to do any number of other things.

But then, now, I'm feeling like I should be writing. I should want to write more than those other things. (I spent a lot of money going to school for writing, after all.)

So what should I give up? I could easily write a book, or two, before I'm 30 by simply writing 750 words per day. That's three paragraphs. Less than I email some hours. And I'd guess it would be a 30–60 minute daily time commitment.

I should be able to do that. Should.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"Should" is a word that puts pressure on all of us in many facets of life. We should all be doing something at some time. Better to limit those time consuming parts of our life (video games) that bring momentary joy and use that time to write. You are good at writing, however I may be a bit prejudice.

Sat May 14, 04:25:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous aln_slc said...

I gave up on writing, mostly.

http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/16549

Sun May 15, 12:29:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

That Bukowski poem is interesting, but I don't agree. Sometimes I don't feel like eating or sleeping, but I make myself because I know I need to.

I never feel like exercising, but it's important.

Writing is a lot like exercise, you're not going to have any desire if you're not doing it. You start to build that desire through action.

Tue May 17, 07:15:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home