Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Gorillaz, Key Arena, 11/2/10




I won't bury the lead: Gorillaz' "Escape to Plastic Beach" was quite possibly the best concert I have ever seen. 24 hours later and I still can't wipe the smile off my face.

It was a veritable 12 Days of Christmas:

1 Damon Albarn
2 Former Clash Members (Mick Jones and Paul Simonon)
3 De La Soul MCs
4 Back-up Vocalists
5 Fictional Band Members
6 Guest Cameos (Roses Gabor, Bobby Womack, Booty Brown, Little Dragon, Basky, Kano)
7 Piece String Section
8 Person Hypnotic Brass Ensemble

And to top it all off: members of the Lebanese National Orchestra who played an entirely Gorillaz-unrelated music interlude halfway through the set.

The only downside: after this spectacle, I am seriously questioning why I should see another concert ever again.

3 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

Jealous.

You know, just because your metro area is twice as big as mine doesn't mean you should get ALL the good concerts.

Mon Nov 08, 06:36:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

If it makes you feel any better, I had to drive to Seattle to catch the concert.

Even though it won't be nearly the same, I highly recommend catching this on the inevitable DVD release.

Damon still has it after all these years. He could barely keep his pants on, bouncing around the stage. And the crowd still adores him. I was right next to the ADA section in Key Arena and people were quite literally coming out of their wheelchairs to touch him.

Mon Nov 08, 10:22:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

Still. . . when you drive 3 hours from Salt Lake City you get to Pocatello.

Once I drove to Pocatello for a Reel Big Fish concert.

It was alright.

Tue Nov 09, 05:00:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home