Friday, October 09, 2009

Yeezy Prepares Nobel Interruption

Hours after the surprising announcement that native Kenyan and sitting U.S. President Barack H. Obama (ever notice that he and Jesus have the same middle initial?) had been selected for the Nobel Peace Prize, fellow Chicagoan Kanye West posted notes on his blog detailing his pretended interruption of Obama's prize acceptance speech.

"Yo, Barry, you're my boy and all, and I'm really proud of you. But. . . and I'm gonna let you finish, but Nicolas Sarkozy had one of the most peaceful years of all time!"

Okay, okay, I'm sorry. Really I just wanted to give my reactions to Obama winning the peace prize. I am a bit stunned to be honest. I am happy that the international perception of our country is so drastically different from just a year ago, and I think it's no secret I am fond of the man. But this feels a bit premature, and it seems a lot like a not Bush award.

That said, I can kinda see where the Norwegian panel is coming from. . . it sort of makes sense. I mean just think about how much peace has been proliferated in less than a year just by having Obama at the U.S. helm not Bush. How would GWB have handled the North Korea prisoner situation? Would we be gearing up for the invasion of Iran, or at least making the case for use of force to the U.N.? Obama not being Bush has probably saved a lot of lives.

6 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

It definitely smacks of a "Not-George-W" award.

And, honestly, I think there are people who are more deserving of a Not-W.

Mon Oct 12, 11:31:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

In all probability, this will not make the slightest difference either way.

Mon Oct 12, 01:24:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

make a difference to what?

Mon Oct 12, 01:50:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Sorry, that was a bit of a non-sequitur. In my head, I was responding to all the op-eds that came out over the weekend proclaiming that this was going to be a burden to the administration.

Mon Oct 12, 03:21:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Totally agree. This is basically like a People's Choice award. Except that, in this case, the people are swedish. Or something.

Mon Oct 12, 05:58:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

I agree with you too. I'm not sure how much winning the award can affect your potency either way when you're already President of the U.S.

But still, there are probably very few countries in the world where the President could win a Nobel Peace Prize and people would be upset. Strange place.

Tue Oct 13, 09:06:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home