Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The new TV season (in 441 words)

New goodness:

Community is hilarious. It’s like 30 Rock, but smarter and less pretentious. Joel McHale takes his likeably-unlikable shtick and adapts it perfectly to what could be a mundane “situation.” Plus it has Chevy Chase playing the role of his lifetime: A crazy, unlikable asshole. That’s like making a movie about Eminem and getting Marshall Mathers to play the lead!

FlashForward isn’t great, but it could be. I’m going to keep watching—I love the concept and the cast—I didn’t love the pilot.

Glee is actually kind of funny. It’s just should be a 30-minute show and not an hour. And it’s really nice to have a show that teaches that gay teenagers are just like us, only dramatic, flamboyant and big fans of Beyoncé.

Modern Family is kinda funny too. And it’s really nice to have a show that teaches us that gay men are just like us, only dramatic, flamboyant and exaggerated in all of their interactions.

Returning goodness:

The quick and dirty on Castle: Take all the cliché TV detective shows, barely change anything, add Nathan Fillion and create awesome.

Dollhouse season two opened well. I think that Whedon and Co have finally figured out how to make the show work. It’s a tough concept to build a show around, but it’s better than I could have imagined. And I say that as a Whedon otaku.

Mad Men and The Office are, as always, great. If I haven’t sold you on these shows yet, there is no hope for you. And I’m not going to pull your head out of the oven next time. (You know who you are.)

Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men and How I Met Your Mother are a tongue-twister and a bunch of quality comedies. Big Bang is the best. It’s funny, has likable characters and makes me feel cool. HIMYM (as the cool net kids say) is still an all around good show. But Ted, the main character, still brings things down. He has always been outmatched but his costars, who fortunately get a lot more screen time now. 2.5 Men (as no one says) is the same as always. I can’t watch it all the time, but I laugh when I do.

I’ve sworn off Heroes more times than I dare count. But I’m still watching it. Fortunately, it’s much improved this season. Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean much. It was really, really bad for a while. I’m three episodes into the season now, so I probably won’t give up on it this year either.

Please die:

Dear acronym cop shows and prime-time talk shows. Please die. Thank you.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger b r christensen said...

I also enjoy Castle, and Firefly guy is about the only reason.

I like Glee too, but I disagree with you about the 30 minutes. If it didn't have the full hour I'm afraid the musical numbers would be dropped completely or edited down the uselessness. Without all the music the show would suuuuuuuuck.

Haven't really watched the rest, I'm pretty sure nothing you can say would convince me to watch your CBS comedies.

Thu Oct 01, 01:01:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I need to catch up on the premiers of a lot of these shows. I saw Parks & Recreation for the first time and it seemed like a more hammy The Office. And I have a feeling FlashForward is going to get the axe by the end of the season so I don't know if I am going to bother watching it right now.

Let me also just add Dexter and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia into the mix, although the latter is showing extreme signs of diminishing returns.

Mon Oct 05, 07:45:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger Pela said...

I also think Castle is excellent. The writing is great, in terms of both procedural plotting and the button-cute and sometimes actually funny dialogue. Nathan Fillion is magnetic, he and the lady cop have great chemistry, and the supporting cast is suburb. More than all that though, the show has a self-aware tone that turns the cliches on their ear, and it is perhaps this winking but not twee quality that makes the show a favorite of mine.

Tue Oct 20, 08:13:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home