Tuesday, March 10, 2009

the national pastime

Pitchers and Catchers have long since reported. The most famous player in the game has admitted to using steroids, (no really?) and yesterday he had surgery that will keep him out for six-nine weeks. But this post isn't about A-Rod.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but to me baseball is more interesting than A-Rod. (I'd never make it at the Post, right Sammy?)

Sure there are compelling stories unique to this year; can the Rays maintain their winning ways? How much will I get to enjoy the Yankees season schadenfreude style? Can my personal favorite team, Atlanta, win with the Frankenstein of a team they've stitched together? But the real excitement of baseball getting started is the same as it is every year.

Baseball means spring and spring means baseball. It has been, in many ways, a rough winter, I'm ready for some spring. I think the nation is.

6 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Silly rabbit: spring means MARCH MADNESS!

Even though I don't really care about Baseball, there is something really comforting about it. For some reason, the image I have in my head is Ian spitting sunflower seeds into a cup. Like, how can you hate on something so serene?

Oh, and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpmcHxhv2zg

Tue Mar 10, 10:16:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger S Goldsmith said...

Brad is 100 percent right, and I think most people agree. It's the stupid, lazy, predictable sports media that gets it wrong.

Wed Mar 11, 11:26:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I might be completely out of league here, but isn't the media fascination around A-rod partially fueled because it is a proxy indictment of Wall Street: e.g. why do we pay you 27.5 million a year to cheat and not win us championships?

Wed Mar 11, 12:41:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger S Goldsmith said...

you're completely out of your league here.

Wed Mar 11, 12:43:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one agree with Brad. Spring means baseball and vise versa! What you all need is to go to Phoenix and watch some spring games. It will rekindle your love for the best game to watch; hanging out with friends,enjoying the brats and brew,being able to see the players from a smaller stadium.
Go Angels!!!

Thu Mar 12, 09:40:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

I can't wait for the Bees' season to start up. Thirsty thursdays are the best.

Although the Angels' farm system has kind of dried up for AAA this year.

Mon Mar 16, 10:50:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home