Sunday, February 01, 2009

On the pecking order.

My downstairs neighbors have a small menagerie in the front yard. Chickens. Ducks. Rabbits. People walking by often stop and marvel. The whole scene is rather exotic for the industrial east side. Edenic almost.

Almost.

I have always had a vague idea in my head of the pecking order. Of social dominance established by the beak. But relentless brutality is the only way I can describe the behavior I have witnessed, without any seeming concern over food or mate.

It is hard not to anthropomorphize here. [Sadisitic.]

Or make the scene representative of some larger world view that it could not possibly sustain. [A world made of stone.]

But looking at a chicken as it is pinned to the ground and pecked, unyielding and without mercy, invoked the image of a boot stamping on a human face -- forever.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same thing happens at the Aviary every March, when the mallard ducks are mating. The male ducks chase the females in what is essentially a gang rape situation.

I heard a Radiolab a few months ago about how female ducks get back at the males by having labyrinthine vaginas. If duckette doesn't like the drake, she'll choose to shunt his sperm to a dead end.

This still doesn't make me feel better about it.

Mon Feb 02, 12:00:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I just subscribed to the Radiolab podcast :)

Tue Feb 03, 05:52:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home