Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Lower State Of Consciousness

You have heard it before. That terrible techno-rave throwback the DJ throws on during a timeout. One of those bizarre tracks that randomly becomes a huge sports anthem.

I can imagine football hooligans losing their shit over the record. But Americans? Do you honestly expect me to believe a Philadelphia fan would chant along with a song called Kerncraft 400? I mean just look at the music video. I thought this was why we don't trust Europeans. We gave them the Marshall Plan, they gave us Eiffel 65. I am pretty sure we constructed the Atlantic Ocean as a final bulwark against Crazy Frog.

I did some further digging (looked on Wikipedia) and discovered that the entire song is built around an ancient Commodore 64 track. Back in the heyday of Napster, when Kerncraft 400 was originally released, there were tons of "Techno Remixes" of old video game themes. Did chiptunes ruin an entire generation of American youth?

Possibly not. Maybe people just like their woah-woah-woah-woahs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home