Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"It really, really, really could happen..."

It's time to break out the champagne: blur has reunited.

Yesterday, the greatest band of all time - okay, maybe just the 90s - sent out an e-mail to its fan club (including yours truly!) announcing the first gig as a full band in almost a decade: Hyde Park, July 3. Although I have exclusive access to tickets, given the dollar-to-pound exchange rate, I think I am going to have to pass.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Coachella.

Besides, who knows what the setlist is going to shape up like. Damon and Graham look like a pair of lugubrious blokes these days. It could very well be two hours of "Battery In Your Leg" -- then again, probably not. I have a feeling Think Tank is going to end up as the apocryphal album in the canon. And adding to mystery, Alex was waxing nostalgic over a couple of old-school b-sides ("Luminous" and "Threadneedle Street") in the announcement video. A rarity or two wouldn't be unprecedented - the band played an entire gig of them in 1999 - but it probably owes more to the band's attention deficit than any sort of placation to the fans.

Anyway. Enough blur talk, for now.

But for those unfortunate souls out there, who still only know blur from "Song 2" being blasted out of stadium speakers during a timeout or "Girls & Boys" being mistakenly played during 80s night, I have prepared some essential listening for you.

blur: a modest sampler

1. Pop Scene (Modern Life Is Rubbish)
2. Stereotypes (The Great Escape)
3. There's No Other Way (Leisure)
4. Girls & Boys (Parklife)
5. Sing (Leisure)
6. Universal (The Great Escape)
7. End of a Century (Parklife)
8. Coping (Modern Life Is Rubbish)
9. Coffee + TV [Radio Edit] (13)
10. Beetlebum (Blur)
11. Song 2 (Blur)
12. Death of a Party (Blur)
13. Ambulance (Think Tank)
14. Tender (13)
15. I Know (She's So High Single)
16. Trouble In The Message Centre (Parklife)
17. This Is A Low (Parklife)
18. For Tomorrow [Visit to Primrose Hill Extended Mix] (Modern Life Is Rubbish)

[Mark, you get nothing done. You Beetlebum. Because you're young.]

6 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

Don't you usually produce a link with a post like this? Hmm... I seem to remember you promising me a Blur mix back in the day and never delivering. Of course, I never delivered on the Pumpkins mix.

Thu Dec 11, 11:02:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

the people demand free music

Fri Dec 12, 09:27:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

He's on, he's on, he's on it.

[Although I think that song is about heroin o_O]

OH COOL BRITANNIA!

Fri Dec 12, 09:49:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I would still be interested in a Pumpkins mix. I think "Adore" and "Eye" era Pumpkins is my favorite -- are either of the Machinas worth my time? And man, Billy Corgan is being a real twat on this so called "20th Anniversary Tour."

It's funny -- I lurk at a British-centric music message board, and most Brits are fairly blase about the blur reunion. It is probably due to the cultural baggage associated with britpop - I didn't have to suffer through the tabloid wars - and that most didn't follow them into their American Indie Rock phase.

A pity.

Fri Dec 12, 10:35:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

hopefully a blur reunion would produce more satisfying results than NKOTB's.

Mon Dec 15, 03:22:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I'll have to work on the Pumpkins mix over the holiday season. Of course, so art can't be rushed. Especially when I have Rock Band 2, Fallout 3, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank Future sitting by my TV.

Wed Dec 17, 07:41:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home