Wednesday, December 03, 2008

"Richard Littlejohn doesn't pay rent."

That was what my downstairs neighbor renamed his Wifi network last week.

Passive aggressive, for sure. But it got me thinking.

Instead of simply giving your network a vaguely geographical-technical network ID like "1226net" (or not giving, for you "linksys" ballers out there), why not use it as a limited means of broadcasting with your immediate neighbors.

Sort of like Twitter meets Shortwave Radio. A way of generating local ambient awareness.

4 Comments:

Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

If our blog had Digg buttons, I would Digg this post. Which is to say that I dig it.

Wow. Nerd alert.

Wed Dec 03, 10:58:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone in my neighborhood named theirs "ISPVirus," which seems to me like a cat that puffs its tail to appear fearsome. In short, hilarious.

Thu Dec 04, 09:20:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Go ahead and Digg it Ben.

Thu Dec 04, 11:16:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

mine's called "D-Link is funny."

After this I'll probably change it to something like "Ron Paul Reloveution 2012."

Tue Dec 09, 03:28:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home