Monday, December 03, 2007

LOGANMIX2005: Apply Some Pressure!

It's that magical time of year again when I, in homage to Roger de Piles, arbitrarily rank art based on its proximity to sovereign perfection.

To give you ample time to fill your ears with beeswax and bind yourself to the mast, I thought I would take a brief stroll down memory lane to visit the blog in its nascent days and unearth one of my time-capsules of hyper-nostalgia.

Although I shared my favorite albums of 2005 with you all, I never got around to posting my digestible hour-long song review for the year. At the time, I was part of a mixtape club which sublimated my need to impose my impeccable musical taste on the rest of the world. I figure now would be an appropriate time to address that lacuna.

Looking back on the tracklist, a few things jump out at me:

1) Never, ever sell your song to a terrible beer company. Galvanize was one of the best tracks of 2005, and now I can't listen to it without thinking of Tom Brady tag-teaming my mom with Hitler.

2) Doves need to release a new album, now.

3) There was a time when ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead seemed vital. 2005 wasn't that time, but damn if Will You Smile Again? doesn't still rock.

4) Nu-Britpop (aka. Kaiser Chiefs, Maximo Park, and Bloc Party) really dropped the ball in their sophomore efforts.

5) There are quite a few conspicuous missing tracks, but it pains me think I wasn't ever aware of Board of Canada's Dayvan Cowboy when I made the list.

6) Shoegazer bands are incredible live.

... and on that same note...

7) I really need to do Coachella next year (Mason = My Bloody Valentine reunion?)

On that note, I like to wait to see how things turn out, if you apply some pressure:

1. Drain Cosmetics - Serena Maneesh [Serena Maneesh]
2. Will You Smile Again? - ... And You Will Know Us From The Trail Of Dead [Worlds Apart]
3. Black And White Town - Doves [Some Cities]
4. Apply Some Pressure - Maximo Park [A Certain Trigger]
5. I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs [Employment]
6. Love Is A Deserter - The Kills [No Wow]
7. Banquet (Phones Disco Edit) - Bloc Party [Silent Alarm Remixed]
8. Destroy Everything You Touch - Ladytron [Witching Hour]
9. The Hand That Feeds - Nine Inch Nails [With Teeth]
10. Happy - Fischerspooner [Odyssey]
11. Morning Night And Day - New Order [Waiting For The Sirens' Call]
12. Galvanize - The Chemical Brothers (feat. Q-Tip) [Push The Button]
13. Bottle Rocket (Single Version) - The Go! Team [Are You Ready For More? EP]
14. Bingo - M.I.A. [Arular]
15. Slide In - Goldfrapp [Supernature]
16. Hung Up [Radio Version] - Madonna [Hung Up Single]
17. Dare - Gorillaz [Demon Days]
18. Don't Save Us From The Flames - M83 [Before The Dawn Heals Us]

2 Comments:

Blogger S Goldsmith said...

2005 was also the year we decided Iran was making nukes.

Tue Dec 04, 01:49:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aren't we already like 2 years and 10 months late with our invasion?

Tue Dec 04, 02:46:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home