Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I love smoking

Cigarettes are fantastic. I love the entire process. The box they are packaged in. The way it fits in your pockets. Pulling one from the lineup. Lighting. Then blowing the smoke. It's so satisfying. So fun. And elegant. You are never alone when you've got a cigarette in your hand. You're no longer waiting or sitting there without purpose. You're smoking. I hate that cigarettes have such a bad rap.

And I hate that you can't smoke in a movie theater. What a crime. There are few places where I would rather smoke. You're in a comfortable chair, in the dark, for a couple of hours. Come on! How satisfying would it be to light up in that situation? Mmmmm.... What a shame.

And in the newsroom. That place just begs to be filled with a cloud of smoke. Man oh man, what a stupid world we live in when I can't light up at my desk while I'm laboring over a story about a guy who died in some terrible car accident. Now all we have is Redbull--which is great--but not the same.

Why don't they make cigarettes that arent so bad for you? I mean, seriously. It can't be all that hard to come up with a less harmful smoke. It would save the industry. Profits would be back up to pre-war on cig levels. Everybody loves smoking, people just don't like to die. It seems obvious to me.

5 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Interesting question which yielded the following Google results:

NOVA Online: Search for a Safe Cigarette.

I know it is not the same, but hasn't the Hookah come to replace the Cigarette as a socially acceptable method of smoking?

Tue Sep 04, 10:07:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Sam. Though I don't smoke, I've always loved the idea of smoking cigarettes. The way you can gesture with one whilst engaged in conversation, the trail of smoke wafting up toward heaven. . . .

I would love a cigarette that wasn't a nicotine delivery system.

Wed Sep 05, 08:25:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger S Goldsmith said...

I don't think smoking hookah is any more socially acceptable than cigarettes. and it's far less versatile, not nearly as sexy, and much more gross, if you ask me.

Wed Sep 05, 06:09:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sam, you make me want to take up the filthy habit all over again.

Wed Sep 05, 06:41:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Having just spent an hour in a smokey bar, I can honestly say I hate smoking.

Fri Sep 07, 09:31:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home