Thursday, April 26, 2007

Bedazzled...

Puzzle Quest is probably the stupidest-sounding game you’ve ever heard of. Bejeweled meets, perhaps, Final Fantasy.

I’ve been struggling to write an entry about Puzzle Quest. And I think I finally figured out why. Because it’s the one of the most original games you’ve even played... that you’ll still feel like you’ve played a 1,000 times.

Yet, it’s the most addicting game I’ve played since Lumines. (At one point, just like with Lumines, I could see the gems when I would close my eyes. Rachel thought I was crazy until it started happening to her too.)

The gample is simple. During battle, you match colored gems to build up your magic. Gold to earn gold. Purple to gain experiences points. And skulls to damage your opponent. And like any RPG, you earn gold and experience points for winning battles, which you use to increase your power, weapons, yada yada yada.

There’s a simple story too. It’s a completely derivative mix of J-RPG fantasy and Tolkein-esque fantasy, and more than a little tongue-in-cheek too. But you probably won’t even need to pay attention to that.

And that’s it. Somehow that equates into a simple, pick-up-and-play game that’s more addictive than it should be. And nearly impossible to find in stores.

I think I recommend it.

2 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

If Nintendo can't produce enough units for these games (ie. Electroplakton), I am going to have to seriously consider Homebrewing.

Thu Apr 26, 03:27:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

In this case, it isn't Nintendo's fault. Puzzle Quest was made by an indie developer and just sort of blew up into a fair size hit thanks to good reviews and a metaphorical standing ovation from Penny Arcade.

Fri Apr 27, 03:23:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home