Sunday, April 22, 2007

[For the sexual act, see Euphemism (sex)]

It started out innocently enough. The last clue to Monday's New York Times Crossword.

5D: The spit in a spit roast.

Normally I would wait until the next day to find the answer, but this proved particularly vexing. There were only two missing letters and I couldn't for the life of me solve it.

Casting aside any semblance of crossword purity, I turned to the internet.

And the internet, once again, blew my mind.

The first line of the Spit Roast/Rotisserie entry in Wikipedia:

Spit Roast redirects here. For the sexual act, see Spit roast (sex)

Say what?

Not only was this a sexual act I had never heard of, but that one sentence opened up the possibility of an entire language floating in a boundless sea of euphemistic signifiers.

Despite what dystopian writers would have you believe, in the future:

language/sex.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On that note: as far as I'm concerned, Eiffel Tower is a verb.

...and - incidentally - I've just found some nice simulacra for sale, care of Austin hipsters. (There's so much irony in this room, I need an oxygen tank)

Sun Apr 22, 10:51:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you solve it?

Tue Apr 24, 10:56:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

If by 'solve' you mean 'have relations with', and if by 'it' you mean 'your mother' -- then yes, yes i did solve it.

Tue Apr 24, 07:19:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home