Monday, April 16, 2007

So it goes...

At one point I devised my own alter ego like Kilgore Trout: Kristopher Ratchet. (He may yet show up in one of my own stories.)

At another, I started a fan letter. I never made it further than “Dear Mr. Vonnegut.”

And yet, I don’t believe I ever went though the somewhat common “Kurt Vonnegut” phase where I’d write stories thinking that I could be him.

I think I always knew that there could only ever be one writer that could really write a Vonnegut-esque novel. He developed such a supremely unique and intricate style that any writer can only write a bad knock-off or something complete different. Vonnegut is that singular.

In his final novel, Timequake, Kilgore Trout dies in the end. But only after becoming an expert and a storyteller, and having everyone listen to what he has to say. Kurt Vonnegut did the same, but in real life. And he did it before I ever started reading him. He did it before I was born.

Still, he’s one of the reasons I desire to write fiction. And he always will be.

6 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

I have seen a lot of e-shoutouts this week to Vonnegut.

I personally appreciate the fact that his M.A. thesis from the University of Chicago was rejected and he only recieved his degree in anthropology later by turning in Cat's Cradle.

I have only done Slaughter House 5 and Breakfast of Champions. Any recommendations for some reading in his honor?

Tue Apr 17, 02:02:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger L-to-the-Del said...

Where is the fiction then? I have not read anything new for months?

Tue Apr 17, 02:19:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Logan, Logan, Logan, only two Vonneguts? And Breakfast of Champions is one?

My personal recommendations, in chronological order of course: Sirens of Titan, Mother Night, Cat's Cradle, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater, Bluebeard, Hocus Pocus.

The short story collections are all really good I've only read one of his books of essays, but it was great too.

Start with Cat's Cradle though. It's a close second to Slaughter-House 5 in my mind.

Mark?

p.s. oh snap!

Tue Apr 17, 03:22:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Cat's Cradle is definitely the place to start. Particularly if you're a cynic.

I nearly prefer the two later novels, Hocus Pocus and Timequake, and I think you might too. It's Vonnegut at his best in terms of structural play.

Likewise you could go the other way and start with his best plot-based novel: Sirens of Titan.

Of course, you could just follow the grade Vonnegut gave his own books in Palm Sunday:

Player Piano: B
The Sirens of Titan: A
Mother Night: A
Cat’s Cradle: A+
God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater: A
Slaughterhouse-Five: A+
Welcome to the Monkey House: B-
Happy Birthday, Wanda June: D
Breakfast of Champions: C
Slapstick: D
Jailbird: A
Palm Sunday: C


It was written before Hocus Pocus and Timequake. So take that into account.

Wed Apr 18, 02:46:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Entertainment Weekly has posted a really nice article by Vonnegut's former student and friend John Irving. Read it.

Thu Apr 19, 07:37:00 AM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timequake is great conceptually and structurally, but I think it's one of his weaker novels page by page.

(does that make sense?) i guess what i mean is that for me, the payoff for timequake comes after you're done reading it whereas with other vonnegut books i love every minute of reading.

That said, any Vonnegut is good Vonnegut, and I really like timequake.

Mon Apr 23, 08:51:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home