Tuesday, December 12, 2006

An Enhanced State of Being...

There was the determined excitement before the flourish of a very best day that is equally delicate and permanent in my memory. Limo rides. Wine red dresses. Gold paisley tuxedo vests. Emotion. Dancing. Ceremony.

As everyone knows, I was eagerly in anticipation of my wedding and my marriage. I had a running countdown on my whiteboard at work since there were 113 days to go. We planned out honeymoon almost instantly after we booked the reception site.

The honeymoon was incredible. Usually on vacations, I get bored after a few days. I’m ready to go home or at least move on. Not this time. I felt like I could have stayed there forever. And the days felt profoundly full –– yet too short.

Hawaii is interesting anyway this time of year. More so for a honeymoon. You have the vague disconnect of being away from the normal urban sprawl Americana, but still seeing a Starbucks on every corner. There’s the inevitable iconoclasm of Christmas lights in a tropical paradise. There’s the pleasing ordinariness of perfect weather (a high temperature near 80 and a low near 70).

It was gloriously relaxing. The first day, for instance, we slept late, woke up, had breakfast, and then took a three hour nap. (The wedding was really that tiring.) There were other adventures and stories, perhaps. The Dinner Cruise with its subtle awfulness and peculiarity. How much Rachel loved the beach. My ultimately unachievable goal of buying Gwen Stefani’s new CD. (We couldn’t find anywhere to buy mainstream music on the side of the island where we were staying.)

I am happy with the way the wedding went. And I wish I were still on my honeymoon. Yes, everything flew by. But I’m pleased that everyone at the wedding and reception seemed to have fun. And that there wasn’t the drama or disaster I’ve experienced at or in other weddings. (Rachel’s dress did, unfortunately, get torn. Someone stepped on it a short time before we left. However, it can be repaired.)

I am even happier to be married. It’s only been 10 days and we’re barely back to our “normal” lives, but I absolutely love that Rachel is the first person I see in the morning and the last person I see at night.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

somehow my happiness for you guys has sustained itself, reading this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

(really.)

congratulations again mark (and rachel) i wish you only the best.

Wed Dec 13, 11:10:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

Hear hear!

Wed Dec 13, 11:22:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger jsl said...

I'm very happy for you guys! I'm sorry I couldn't be there. It sounds like it was wonderful and I can't wait to meet Rachel.
Congratulations!

Wed Dec 13, 03:57:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home