Monday, September 18, 2006

The weight of the whirled...

There are a few details left. The baker, for instance. Who will print the invitation. (I’ve finished the layout.) Where to get the flowers from. (Rachel knows what kind she wants. I’d write the name here, but I’d get it wrong. There are so many details now.)

Mostly it’s all figured out. Dresses. Tuxedos. Food. Location. Time. (Ceremony: 4:30 PM, December 2nd... Reception follows immediately.)

The point of this story: Despite what you may have heard, planning a wedding isn’t all that stressful. It’s kind of fun. At least so far.

Which isn’t to say that there isn’t a certain type of stress. This week, for instance, we have to get our invitation in order. While that isn’t too difficult (I’ve already finished the layout and we already know quantities, etc.), there are complications. Namely, we have to have it printed. And for a small, invitation size quantity the price could be unruly or... not.

Price. That’s an interesting point. Apparently in nine years – the time that has passed since Rachel older sister and my older sister got married (to their husbands, that is) – prices for wedding related expenses have doubled or tripled. And much like gasoline, the only real economic impetus for that price increase is that wedding service vendors can charge that much... not that they need to stay competitive.

And that’s the only real stress I care to mention... that everyone else really has the power in the wedding. The vendors... the family... the parents... whomever. No one can really have total control. (Which I think is a good thing... and thank God for Rachel. If she weren’t such a kind, unpretentious person this whole thing could be stressful instead of fun.)

That’s all I have to say about it... for the moment.

(There’s a little explanation about wedding planning Logan... still feels boring to me. But let me know what you think.)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

You are entering a brave new world Mark.

I always enjoy glimpses into worlds of which I have no frame of reference -- like looking into Ian's anatomy books.

Wedding prices... I think people forget how simply one can live and still be happy.

I am glad it is still fun!

Mon Sep 18, 02:41:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home