Thursday, September 14, 2006

Dang...

Well Logan, Nintendo has officially announced the launch details for the Wii.

The Wii will launch November 19 at a $250 price point that includes the system (white only at launch), the Wii Sports game, one controller and nunchuck, an AC adapter, an audio/video cable, a sensor bar, a sensor bar stand, a Wii console stand, and two batteries.

There will be at least 15 games at launch, and 30 games by year-end. The controller itself sells for $39.99 with the nunchuck and classic controller attachments selling for $19.99 each.

There will also be 30 “legacy” titles available at launch for Virtual Console. These are old games for the NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis and TurbGraphix 16. Virtual Console games will sell for $5 and up.

They also announce some of the online features. Some are fairly cool. You can purchase an Opera browser and surf the web. Read a news channel or look at a weather channel for free. Or view pictures or listen to MP3s off of SD memory cards.

Overall I’m a little disappointed in the announcement. $250 is too much for a game system. I don’t like the idea of spending more than $200. Plus they cut DVD video playback. Granted, I have a DVD player. But I like the idea of converging all of my media needs into one tiny device. (I do have a one-bedroom apartment, after all.)

4 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Yeah, $199 would have been the sweet spot. I am more surprised that the good ole USA is getting the console a couple weeks earlier than Japan.

Bummer about Metroid too. But, all I really want for Christmas is some more Zelda. Wind Waker and Minish Cap did not satisfy my hunger.

Thu Sep 14, 12:25:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Now that I have done some research a lot of the items seem overpriced -- like the controllers and the attachments, not to mention NES games for 5 bucks a pop. That doesn't scale well.

B. Goldsmith, you seriously need to check out some of the Zelda videos online. They are ridiculous[ly cool].

Thu Sep 14, 07:35:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Okay... I am just talking to myself here, so feel free to join in Mark so I don't look [quite so] lame.

I think the real problem is the inclusion of Wii Sports with the package. The Japanese system comes sans Sports and at the more agreeable price of (roughly with the conversion) $209.

Throwing in the Sports game is a real dick move because not only are you increasing the price of the console by 40-50 dollars (for a game that, while it looks fun, is more of a tech demo than anything), but you are really forcing consumers to buy an extra controller for $40. We are talking 300 dollars before you walk out of the store, without any actual games.

Sure, internet trolls are always going to be bitching about prices, but my general feeling is that Nintendo has lost a lot of the good will it worked so hard to gain back.

Fri Sep 15, 11:40:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I guess I don't have muc more to say about it. No matter what's included, I have never and will never spend more than $250 for a video game, save but for one time. When I bought my PSP.

I learned a valuable lesson that day.

Sat Sep 16, 05:22:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home