Saturday, July 15, 2006

iLife

Apple has this amazing ability to anticipate my wildest technological desires.

Case in point.

My friend still has not seen Season 2 of Lost. Unfortunately my grating renditions of Michael ("WALT! WWAAAALLLTTT!") have not quenched her curiosity for all things hatch (remember those naive times?).

I did some research and discovered that not only did Apple have the software necessary to encode my EyeTV DIVX files into DVD friendly MPEGs, but it was already installed on my computer.

An hour or so later, not only was I able to enjoy Michael in all his lugubrious glory, but iDVD helped me create graphic interfaces to navigate while listening to ominous sounds of Michael Giacchino's soundtrack.




















Cool.

Another case in point.

I was at a Goldsmith family barbecue the other week and throughout the evening the brothers Gold communicated through video conferencing over their new MacBooks.

Later, using the same hardware, Mason and Nell were able to visually demonstrate their Hadriatic love of all things L.F.O. ("There was a good man named Paul Revere").

Essential? Probably not. Useful? Kind of. Cool? Hell yes.

4 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

You know... my iDVD experience was no where near as favorable. I tried doing some TV-to-DVD as you did. And ended up being told that the conversion would take in the neighborhood of 36 hours. I also created a vacation slide show, set it to music and then burned it to DVD... the DVD wasn't compatible with any player I tested it on.

Caveat... me?

Sun Jul 16, 03:42:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

That is because you are using your mini mac bro.

You have to get your upgrade on.

Mon Jul 17, 03:06:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Whatevers... you're so-called "Powerbook" uses a processors that is remarkably similar to my Mac mini.

Or did you forget that that's just a lowly G4 you're pushing?

(In reality the problem is my woefully lacking graphics card. My mini shipped with a 32MB video card...)

Mon Jul 17, 08:38:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I don't know if anybody reads this far down -- but I just upgraded to iLife 06.

The full screen comparison edits on iPhoto is pretty amazing.

God I love Apple.

Sat Jul 29, 07:39:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home