Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The details...

It was Wednesday, 28 June 2006. We had planned for Tuesday, but something else came up and we shuffled.

I took her to Christopher’s, a nice seafood and steak restaurant in the historic Peery Hotel in downtown Salt Lake. The plan: we’d eat and then go back to her parent’s house for champagne and cake with her family. Somewhere in between I’d ask her to marry her.

A little background. I had a different sense of meaning with Rachel from the beginning. From the first date, everything felt pretty natural. (Of course, I was nervous to the point of feeling nauseous for the first few dates, but that went away.) I never want to force anything and I actively tried to avoid thinking something “should” happen or “should” have happened. I simply wait until I can’t wait any longer. To buy her flowers again. To call her. To say I love you.

I suppose you could say we’ve been “unofficially engaged” for around three months, although I don’t remember the date. I do know that we had been dating for more than six months because that’s how the subject came up.

We were in the Sugarhouse Coffee Company. I had met her for her lunch from work and we were just drinking coffee and talking. It felt right to say something about how happy I was that we’d already been dating for six months. Then it felt right to say something about how I didn’t ever want our relationship to end. Then that I wanted to marry her. She said she felt the same way.

But we waited to become engaged. We waited until that day at Christopher’s. We had gone together to buy the ring the Saturday before. She knew that was the day. And I knew I didn’t really have any way to surprise her. But I tried anyway.

After dinner I walked her over to the lobby of the Peery Hotel. It’s nice. Historic and different from what you see in Salt Lake City. I had bought her an iPod. An expensive gift I knew she’d never expect. (Even though I had told her I bought her a present too.) And I had written her a card.

Right after I wrote her the card, I realized that it said everything I wanted to.

So I gave her the iPod and I waited for her to reach for the card. When she did I stopped her and said that I wanted to read it to her. So I did. Then, like you may expect of others although perhaps not me, I got down on one knee and asked her to marry me...

She said “yes” before I could even finish the question.

The wedding is now officially dated, and is less than five months away.

2 December 2006.

12-02-06.

It will be a very best day.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Mark speaks the truth. I have seen the photos and they are ridiculously cute.

I guess this means I have to buy a ticket back to the SLC before I even leave.

Hurrah, hurrah!

Thu Jul 13, 12:52:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger n s tessman said...

I always knew Mark was a big 'ol sweetheart.
I want to see these cute pictures Logan's talking about.

Can I come?

Thu Jul 13, 03:22:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Nell we can take Southwest and fly together!

Hurrah, hurrah!

Mark: Most important question. Open Bar?

Thu Jul 13, 05:01:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Of course you can come. You have been on the short list of high school and college friends since the beginning. As for the cute pictures... sorry. She asked me not to post them on the blog.

Open bar... well. I'm sure there will be an open bar near the reception hall. But not inside –– it's too close to a school. :(

Thu Jul 13, 05:30:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

No speeding and no drinking :(

Where is the reception hall?

[And does she read the blog?]

Fri Jul 14, 12:05:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I was going to ask what "No speeding" meant, but then I got it: School Zone.

The reception hall is in Bountiful. Check it out here.

I don't know if Rachel reads the blog or not. She does know where to find it.

Fri Jul 14, 04:02:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home