Sunday, June 11, 2006

Philosophy Mon Amour

I spent much of the day yesterday rereading a few sections in some of my old books from college. I miss school. I'm afraid the real world just doesn't really hold a candle to the insolated, esoteric, and self indulgent world of academia. Sorry L Dub.

"A new amatory world comes to the surface within the eternal return of historical and intellectual cycles. Following the winter of discontent comes the artifice of seeming; following the whiteness of boredom, the heartrending distraction of parody. And vice versa. Truth, in short, makes its way amid the shimmering of artificial amenities as well as asserting itself in painful mirror games. Does not the wonderment of psychic life after all stem from those alternations of protections and downfalls, smiles and tears, sunshine and melancholia?" -Julia Kristeva

3 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Julia Kristeva is like my all time favorite.

Her recent novel, Murder in Byzantium, is next on my reading list.

Sun Jun 11, 05:17:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

That quote is from a chapter in this book.

Mon Jun 12, 08:51:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

That book has been on my wishlist for awhile -- I think the day of reckoning is at hand.

Tue Jun 13, 07:58:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home