Friday, June 10, 2011

Grantland. . . and No Kickoffs in Football

As much as I dislike Bill Simmons ("The Sports Guy" ESPN), which is kind of a lot, I have been captivated by a lot of the non-Simmons pieces on his new daily, ESPN backed sports-pop culture venture with Chuck Klosterman, Grantland. I don't really like Klosterman that much either, but for some reason I'm excited about Grantland. (EDIT: Here's where I should have mentioned that Grantland has lured in some pretty considerable talent, guys who don't have the initials BS or CK.)

Who knows where time will take Grantland, but I like its ambition, and I think it's a good idea. My initial impressions are that the writers could stand to be a less self-indulgent but it seems like once they run out of pet-stories that noone else would ever publish it (Grantland) could really turn into something good. Also, I love the use of footnotes, and the way they lay out said foodnotes.

I recommend checking it out if you haven't. Grantland.com

Whilst purusing an article on Grantland today I ran across this tidbit:
According to the Newark Star-Ledger's Steve Politi, Schiano has proposed a plan that would eliminate kickoffs and onside kicks in college football, replacing them with the option to either (a) punt, or (b) face a fourth-and-15 from one's own 30-yard line. The idea behind it is that kickoffs cause the greatest number of serious injuries — including to Rutgers defensive tackle Eric LeGrand, who suffered a severe spinal-cord injury last season — and that eliminating them is an obvious way to mitigate the full-speed collisions that cause these injuries.

After the obligatory, "Wha? No kickoffs? No kickoffs!?" I began to think that no kickoffs would actually be a great idea. A 4th and 15 would be way more exciting than an onside kick, you'd get a return on every puntoff, you could do fake puntoffs, you could try to block them. . . . Oh and fewer players would get paralyzed. I say do it. What say y'all?

1 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

(Pithy comment about how Football is stupid.)

So ESPN decided to start it's own Huffington post?

(Also, I'm with you on BS. No real opinion on CK. Though Simmons super hit-and-miss podcast was more interesting when CK was on. Of course, I don't listen to it anymore. It as rarely interesting.)

Fri Jun 10, 05:10:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home