Tuesday, June 23, 2009

(Inca People) We're Looking For Rebirth

[Editorial note: This post has an audience of one. Unless your name is Andy Nelson, the following will probably be a baffling and nettlesome exercise in nostalgic self-indulgence. Actually, quite like all of my posts.]

I have been working on a post about Half-Life 2 [spoiler alert: The Orange Box is currently the best gaming value on the market] and while doing a little research on the franchise (ie. looking it up on Wikipedia), I discovered that Half-Life was originally published by Sierra Studios.

I have a lot of affection for Sierra Studios. King Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow was the first game I bought for my family's new desktop back in 1992. I was so enamored with the King Quest series that I soon went on to play practically every game Sierra Studios published (although mysteriously not Half-Life), including clunkers like Phantasmagoria and Torin's Passage. Yet nothing approached the terribleness of the truly unfathomable Inca.

Ostensibly, Inca is a story of the uchronic war between Incas and Spaniards. Wait for it: in space. Yes, that's right. Huayna Capac sends you off in a Tumi-shaped spaceship to dogfight with Spanish galleon spaceships.

The game played about as badly as the premise sounds.

Needless to say, Inca has all but disappeared from the annals of gaming, but even at the time, hardly anybody I knew played it. Except Andy Nelson who used to sing me the opening theme song ("We are the Incas, kings and knights") in opportune moments of comic genius.

With the theme echoing vaguely around my head, I decided to test the one truism of this life: if it happened in the past 25 years, it probably exists somewhere on the internet.

Lo and behold, I found "Inca People" by Gilles Douïeb. The internet reports this song was a "minor hit" in Europe. I doubt it. "Inca People" has not only an extended pan-pipe intro, but also a pan-pipe bridge [imagine the only good 30 seconds of the second The Darkness album].

And now I present it to you, in all of its wanky .ogg glory. Cheers Andy!

4 Comments:

Anonymous aln_slc said...

HNAHAHA YES!!!!

Thanks so much for this!!!!


!!!
~WE KEEP ON FLYING, INTO THE NIGHT!!~

Wed Jun 24, 06:23:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous aln_slc said...

I am still enjoying this. Thanks.

Sat Nov 07, 02:35:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger Ameen said...

Greeting from Malaysia.

I am not Andy Nelson, but i remember Inca very well. Got this game bundled with my very first CD-ROM kit.

Almost 20 years later, the theme song suddenly pop and cross my mind and bang ! i'm singing 'we are the incas king and knight!'.

Tue May 10, 11:47:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger Michael said...

Yeah... I DEFINITELY still remember and sing this song. I was at Macchu Picchu earlier this month and I even sang it there. Glad to see I wasn't hallucinating.

Sun Jul 20, 12:05:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home