Saturday, January 03, 2009

Curioser and curioser

The best summary, from EW.com, is this: "an extravagantly ambitious movie that's easy to admire but a challenge to love."

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is many things. Slowly paced. Heartwrenching. Inspiring. Depressing. Brilliant. And, perhaps most strangely, shallow.

Yet, it all seems to come together into a fittingly appropriate package. With a single, simple core message: people are the same at the beginning of their lives and at the end. Death is a fact. All you can do is enjoy those moments in between.

I'm not going to give a reading of the movie, or explain how it fits into the Fincher canon. The message is simple enough. Mainstream Sisyphus, I'd argue.

No. Just go see it. It's worth it. Despite its faults, it's better than most anything else out there. And honestly, we can all learn from the message. Focus on enjoying what you can in life. Don't worry about the Heidis and Spencers—who just don't get it. Watch them. Learn from them. But don't live your live based on anything they say or do.

In time, we'll all be in diapers again.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Cinnamon Buns said...

Oh very true. I really loved that movie. I will take that advice and not let Heidis and Spencers get to me or my friends.

Sat Jan 03, 09:22:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

It seems that The Hills is the Rosetta Stone by which we can decipher all of Mark's posts.

Mon Jan 05, 11:35:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Honestly, I don't know how Fincher keeps getting money to finances his films. Zodiac and The Curious Case are so aggressively long anticathartic, it seems like he is intentionally baiting his producers. [Don't get me wrong, I loved Zodiac.]

And I agree with your evaluation. The movie is as profound as is it shallow -- and wildly uneven, which is not to say that is is not worth your three hours.

Mon Jan 05, 11:41:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger L-to-the-Del said...

I agree, you do talk about The Hills more than anything else lately. Maybe I should start watching and gain some insight into your life, moods, etc...

Mon Jan 05, 12:02:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home