Wednesday, December 31, 2008

LOGANMIX2008: The Best Revenge

2008 was a consensus year for critics.

Looking from list to list, I noticed a lot of the same -- which is not necessarily a bad thing, it most likely reflects websites becoming indie M.O.R. as they try to escape their respective music niches.

Personally, I find myself a little out of touch with this consensus: whether it was due to personal taste (Fleet Foxes and the entire NW Americana scene), age (Vampire Weekend. LOL!), bands I don't get (I find myself strangely unmoved by Portishead; more of a Massive Attack fan), or bands I got once upon a time (TV on the Radio's glossy production was a major turnoff).

And this consensus tends to ignore what an amazingly strong year it was for indie electronic music. It is like a hydra, for every head you cut off - electroclash and dance-punk - more sprout out: disco-punk, electro-house, new rave. Just look back at the reception of #1 and Is This It? - the latter was heralded as the salvation of rock'n'roll while the former was seen as the musical equivalent of Sodom and Gomorrah (isn't that the way it always is in the eternal rock vs. pop deathmatch?) - and trace the respective genre trajectories. I think it is clear who had the last laugh.

And isn't that the best revenge?

1. Out At The Pictures - Hot Chip [Made In The Dark]
2. Can't Go Back - Primal Scream [Beautiful Future]
3. Yippiyo-ay - The Presets [Apocalypso]
4. The Best Revenge - Fischerspooner [The Best Revenge Single]
5. If I Can't (feat. Jake Shears) - Luomo [Convivial]
6. A&E (Gui Boratto Remix) - Goldfrapp [A&E Single]
7. Satellites - Kelley Polar [I Need You to Hold On While the Sky Is Falling]
8. Couleurs - M83 [Saturdays = Youth]
9. The Simple Life - The Juan Maclean [Simple Life 12'' Single]
10. Far Away - Cut Copy [In Ghost Colours]
11. Take To Take - Subtle [ExitingARM]
12. Golden Age - TV on the Radio [Dear Science,]
13. What New York Used To Be - The Kills [Midnight Boom]
14. Versus - Ladytron [Velocifero]

Happy New Years Everybody!

















If the million internet posts about Merriweather Post Pavilion are any indication, 2009 is already the year of the Animal Collective. No seriously. If Radiohead hype is a 8.9 on the Internet richter scale, this new Animal Collective album has to be a 9.4. I have never seen so many internet denizens get so hot and bothered by an album release. On the Radiohead forum there is a post devoted to the album that is 1050 pages long. I had no idea the band had gotten this big.

I still have only listened to one Animal Collective song: the Pantha du Prince remix of Peacebone (highly recommended!), mostly because I figured noise folk wasn't my cup of tea, and part of me wants to continue on that way. But to use Radiohead as an example, I would be an asshole not listen to OK Computer solely out of principle. I just need to sit down at some point in January, with Mason holding my hand, and give this band a fair listen.

To the future! Huzzah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home