Friday, August 03, 2007

Why Events Unnerve Me

I saw The Simpsons Movie, and I don’t think I really liked it. But for some reason, I’m not really sure.

I still love The Simpsons. And while I may have said, in the past (long ago... we’re talking days or even weeks) that the new episodes aren’t funny. After seeing the movie, I’m not really sure that the case anymore.

It seems to me that the “problem” The Simpsons has is the same problem that “Itchy and Scratchy” had in the classic “The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show” episode. There may not be anything wrong with The Simpsons, except that we’re just all kind of tired it.

Which is exactly what I thought of the movie. It was good. I laughed a lot. But I was bored. Bored in the same way I’m bored when I watch TV. (In other words, I would have been fine if I had had my DS or laptop to keep my brain busy while I “watched” the movie.)

My point is, that I’m no longer going to criticize new episodes of The Simpsons for being not as funny as the old ones. Maybe they are. I now realize that I am completely incapable of judging them on their own merit, and not with the knowledge of what has already been said or done in the last four hundred some-odd episodes.

2 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

I think I shared a lot of people's reaction to The Simpsons movie: delightfully surprised. It was good natured and had a high enough lol to length ratio to keep me entertained. If anything, it re-ignited my love for the show, which, after 18 years, is quite the feat.

Also, I have been re-watching episodes for nostalgia sake, and I have to say that Season 1 is pretty awful. Too much focus on the concept of the dysfuctional family and not enough laughs. "The Call of the Simpsons" -- the episode where Homer buys an RV to keep up with the Flanders -- is abysmal until the surreal twist in the third act when Homer falls into a mudbath and becomes Big Foot. A small sign of the direction The Simpsons would take in later seasons.

Mon Aug 06, 10:19:00 AM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark I agree.

I really liked the movie...I'm just not sure if I'm ready to love again.

Wed Aug 29, 08:18:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home