Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oscar See Through Red Eye

Wow. I am stunned/sickened/disgusted Crash won Best Picture.

Q: Logan, why do you care?
A: Because I am an erstwhile Catholic; ergo I am a sucker for pomp and ritual.

Coming into tonight, I was actually glad Crash was nominated as it gave me a villian (besides Billy Bush - honestly, who allowed this ninny on my TV?) to root against during this year's ceremonies. Looking back over the decade's nominees, this is certainly not the first time the academy slavishly awarded [dear editor - can I used the word toadying somewhere in this sentence?] the most boring MOR movie of the year (see Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Return of the King, and Million Dollar Baby), but it has been a long time since I remember a "film" of such portentous affectation taking home the top prize.

Don't believe the hype: Crash is not about racism. It is about the crisis of masculinity.

And if anything, it only further solidfied David Denby as the world's biggest misogynist asshole movie critic. Okay, I need to stop or I am going to lapse into Tourettes and I need to save all the hate I can for this May. (Still, WTF?)

The night was not a complete wash. God Bless my boy George Clooney who managed to pack more humor into a single facial expression than all of Jon Stewart's monologue combined. Jon Stewart did, however, have the best line of the night -

Martin Scorsese: 0 Oscars, Three 6 Mafia: 1 Oscar

Although the bigger dis would have been -

Martin Scorsese: 0, Akiva Goldsman: 1.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love how denby points out that crash succeeds where spike lee's movies have failed. wtf?

could george clooney be any more hilarious yet charistmatic and dreamy at the same time? i don't think i've ever had such a mancrush.

and akiva can suck my korbel.

Tue Mar 07, 03:30:00 AM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

logan, you totally called it.

but honestly? i didn't think g'luck/g'nite was all that phenomenal...i mean it was good, but what was up with the random office romance subplot?

Tue Mar 07, 08:29:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I was in L.A. during the Oscar telecast at an unrelated once-in-a-lifetime event.

Anyway, I watched a few minutes of the Oscars in my hotel room. (I slept through most of them.)

My conclusion is that I really didn't care. And also that Crash can't be that bad and Logan is wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

That is all...

(BTW: How about that George Clooney. When did he suddenly become the most loved man in Hollywood?)

Tue Mar 07, 09:40:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Mark, you naive fool. Let me give you some perspective by quoting David Denby, "I think [Crash is] easily the strongest American film since Clint Eastwood’s “Mystic River." And for the record Do The Right Thing is infinitely better than anything Paul Haggis has ever been affiliated with [although defending Spike Lee's entire oeuvre is a tough sell].

Rebecca OTM. When I drafted up a small review of GL, GN. I also made note that the office romance seemed out of place. My best guess is that they wanted to add a female lead into the script or perhaps show how the threat of surveillance infiltrated the private sphere of individual's lives as well. It may have been incongruent, but as the movie made so many right choices [especially using footage of McCarthy, a seeming self-evident choice, but a not altogether obvious one] that I was more than willing to forgive it. Plus the resolution to the subplot was surprisingly sweet - a much needed emotion in the face of Murrow's constant stoicism.

Best Picture 2007 Prediction - Auberge Espagnole 2: Les Poupees Russes

Tue Mar 07, 10:29:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home