Thursday, December 22, 2005

Midseason TV Roundup, Part Deux

My Name Is Earl: Arrested Development is (was I guess now) my favorite show on television, but My Name is Earl has emulated the same blueprint with less acridity and the result is far more endearing. Jason Lee is exceptionally charming in the titular role and his world is fully realized with amiable, offbeat characters. I think Darnell (aka the 'Crab Man') exemplifies the sublimely affable nature of the show. Even when delivering poison cookies, he never loses his pleasant demeanor. This show is so good, I wouldn't mind if they rode the concept (righting a wrong off Earl's list of bad deeds each episode) for the rest of the series.

The Office: I recently noticed that Paul Feig directed a few episodes of The Office, which I find quite fitting as it has taken over the mantle of the painfully funny Drama-Comedy (Dramedy?) best exemplified by Freaks and Geeks. The formula is so precarious, yet the Office is capturing it perfecty right now. This may be heresy, but I think it may even be better than the British version. Ricky Gervais (and Martin Freeman) cannot be outshined, but Steve Carrell's portrayal is considerably more sympathetic which makes the show, as a whole, substantially stronger. In particular, the ending scene of the Halloween episode - a defeated Michael Scott, delightedly handing out candy to neighborhood kids - was beautifully muted and restrained. The American variant of the Office goes on the official list of things that are far better than they ever deserved to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home