Thursday, December 01, 2005

A Diverted Eight

Thanksgiving is my new favorite holiday, although perhaps not for the reasons people most traditionally associate with the occasion (genocide and the like).

Last weekend I had a remarkable time in Wisconsin. Thanksgiving, it seems, is a brilliant way to make small talk with strangers. Asking someone about his/her/hir Thanksgiving is a casual and unobtrusive point of entrance into a very private dynamic. Discussing family relations and observances engenders an unusually rapid intimacy; it allows all sorts of precocious friendships to blossom. Store clerks, barflies, coffee baristas, even that random dude at Perkins: everyone was quite responsive and sociable.

Perhaps I should attribute the conviviality more to downtown Madison, but as I get ready to bury myself in the library for finals, I would like to imagine that this genial holiday spirit is occurring all over the map.

2 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Last time I clicked on the link, there was a plug for Stapp's new cd in the middle of the page!

Isn't embedded advertising grand!

Fri Dec 02, 12:52:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I've never been much of a 311 fan.

Too much suckage on their part, I think.

But that is pretty hardcore.

Sat Dec 03, 08:37:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home