Saturday, March 31, 2012

Gee, I've been saved by Fox. How swell.

Star Fox 64 3D

In a strange twist of fate, Star Fox 64 is probably better suited for the Nintendo 3DS than it was for the Nintendo 64: clocking in at barely an hour, it is a bite-size of a game, easily digested in the handheld format. I might even label it the "definitive version" despite two minor missteps: Nintendo sacrilegiously re-recorded Falco's vocals ("I guess I should be thankful.") and awkwardly forces you to use the stylus to receive Rob64's bonuses. And if Nintendo went through all the trouble of recalibrating the difficulty for the Nintendo 3DS, would it have been that much of a bother to create a Hard mode as well? Despite being 14 years removed from the peak of my gaming prowess, I ran through each difficulty path without coming close to dying. But perhaps ultimately that is the charm of Star Fox 64: it is a breeze to pick up and play, and lacks any of the unnecessary gameplay clutter that eventually diluted the fun factor of the franchise.

Grade: A-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home