Wednesday, August 18, 2010

An open letter

Dear Microsoft,

I was alerted this morning that there were two new software updates for Office '08 (Mac). One of the updates was quite large, but that's always been your style. As usual, I went through the remarkably cumbersome update process. Upon completion I was informed that there was a second update in the queue, this one more than twice the size of the last. Nearly a full gig and two full rounds of your clunky update processes later, my new-and-ostensibly-improved Office '08 is back to providing the same mediocre functionality and user experience that I've come to expect from your company.

I am a former Microsoft devote and current Mac user. Even today I find myself hoping that you'll produce products and user experiences that will woo me back to you. Alas, all you seem to do is push me further and further away. Perhaps you will never figure out how to design and execute quality products, but some part of me still holds out some glimmer of hope.

I would be extremely grateful if you could find it in your heart to please suck less.

Regards,

Ben

9 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

It has been the same for Office 2004. I had a 250 MB update last week, and a 191 MB update today.

The process (with it's two separate update programs) is pretty cumbersome. But it's nice that they still support a six year product. Apple doesn't.

Thu Aug 19, 08:13:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

link

Thu Aug 19, 11:26:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

I'm sort of kidding, but sort of not.

Fri Aug 20, 08:21:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I was going to call you a commie, but you're too fast.

Open Office works... but the compatibility is lacking just enough to make business hard.

Google Docs is probably closer to useful... but Google is evil now.

Fri Aug 20, 09:45:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

what, google is evil and microsoft isn't? what has become of the software world?

really OpenOffice is just about as functional as MS Office (except for whatever they call Power Point, that thing suuuucks) but the compatibility issues do cause wrinkles. I understand that MS Office is the standard now, but at one point it was Word Perfect and we all made the switch. It is actually kind of ridiculous that any government office isn't using OOo.

Rationalize your budgets yo.

Fri Aug 20, 03:03:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Whenever I use my parents' computer, Windows always restarts to install updates without ever asking my permission. I am absolutely livid when I wake up only to find my downloads interrupted by some stupid service update.

Apple may be closed ecosystem, but at least it asks for my consent.

Tue Aug 24, 02:28:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Dude, you can totally unlock the option to have Windows ask you. You just, you know, have to select a few options in the control panel and edit a registry entry. Cake ;)

Tue Aug 24, 05:41:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

And beat the level 3 boss without using a melee attack.

Wed Aug 25, 07:29:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

And without using the wizard's key.

Wed Aug 25, 12:12:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home