Thursday, April 17, 2008

The working world or work...

I dislike my job. So does my brother. So does my wife. So does everyone else I know. (Honest. I don't know a single person who "loves" their job.)

As many of you have heard me preach lately, I don't think that's so bad. In fact, I think it's kind of a cultural myth that we should like and find fulfillment in our employment.

Although I don't think this feeling is limited to our generation, as the author of this New York Times article basically says, I do think it's... well... prevalent.

Recently I've been reading a lot about how to "get ahead" in business. And, besides reminding me of the book I haven't finished writing yet, I seem to agree with most authors that I need to be persistent, shameless, learning new things (always), networking, anticipating (always), shrewd, aggressive, cautious and amiable.

I have no idea what to do first. Suggestions?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree most everyone I know or have known dislike their jobs. Some have even started a profession they or their parents dreamed about only to find it disappointing and less then they hoped for.
So, what I am saying "We are all in the same boat when it comes to job satisfaction". The best approach is to have the Pollyanna attitude and find reasons to enjoy the moment.It all passes so quickly.
My vote is for persistence, write every day!

Fri Apr 18, 10:59:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger S Goldsmith said...

i love my job

Fri Apr 18, 08:57:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

people either love their job or hate their job.

or they think their job is ok.

seriously though, i'm sure you are learning more and more about what you like doing and what you don't like doing. that is to say that you're probably learning what kind of work you would ideally like to do. so, even though you might not like your job i bet you're getting value from it. which is not to say that you should be content with that value alone. i would say you gotta make sure you're doing something to move closer to what you're learning about your ideal work.

alternatively you could just change your last name to goldsmith.

Sat Apr 19, 04:07:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. how come i can't login and write a comment at the same time? does anyone else have this problem?

Sat Apr 19, 04:09:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Well, not I can say that I know one person who likes his or her job. Although I'll probably say "his job."

Still, I don't think I'll ever find fulfillment in a job... or a career. Although I do agree with what you're saying Brad about learning what moves you forward.

Also, not having the same problem with the login and comment thing. I usually preview, which seems to help.

Sat Apr 19, 08:40:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home