Thursday, June 28, 2012

E3: Procrastination

At this point, it is safe to assume that Sony and Microsoft are not going to be releasing the next generation of consoles until the 2013 holiday season, which, in turn, means that I will likely wait until the first price drop in 2016 to bite the bullet and upgrade. And with rumors that the new systems will lockout used game sales, I may not buy a AAA game until 2018. To the future and beyond!

I hate to be a Nintendo pessimist but I am going to stick with my gut from the last E3 Conference. If the rumors are true and Apple releases a $200 7'' iPad this year, Nintendo is going to be in a precarious position. Such a device would not only imperil the touchscreen reliant WiiU but it would also be a substantial challenger to the 3DS. Nintendo cannot compete financially with Apple's mastery of the supply chain.

Should we start betting on which of the big three will fold on hardware production first? I'll put my money on Sony. But who knows? Maybe a Kickstarter campaign can keep the company afloat for a few more months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home