Tuesday, December 08, 2009

All that Jazz.

I'll admit I got a little misty eyed when I first heard that the Jazz had sold its broadcasting rights to FSN Utah. I can ascribe most of my enthusiasm for the Jazz to KJZZ-TV, which broadcast all of the games for free over local airwaves. I understand the financial incentive behind the decision, but I can't help but wonder if the 12-year agreement will have long-term consequences for the franchise. My parents couldn't afford to subscribe to cable when I was growing up and I worry that the Jazz organization will miss the opportunity to indoctrinate impressionable youth who may not have access to FSN Utah.

Although perhaps I am overplaying the importance of television in this day and age. I personally catch every Jazz game over NBA broadband. And with Comcast buying NBC, who knows for how much longer broadcast television will even exist.

2 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

How often are the Jazz games blacked out on NBA Broadband? I've thought about something like that, but it's too expensive. I'm also too poor to buy my kids cable. (Fortunately, my kids are just me, Rachel and the cats. And the cats don't complain much.)

Wed Dec 09, 01:03:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Not too often. If the game appears on national television (ESPN/TNT/NBAtv) it is blacked out. But since the Jazz aren't an incredibly popular team around the nation, it usually only happens for the big games, such as tonight against the Magic.

Unfortunately, the service was down last night so I missed the Jazz's catastrophic fourth quarter collapse against the Lakers.

On the whole, a fair price for the service. Getting to watch the Jazz announcers from anywhere in the country is worth the price of admission in my mind.

Thu Dec 10, 10:13:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home